Sunday, October 25, 2009

King Watching


Earlier today I heard someone shouting "Get thee to a nunnery!" from the throne room. I couldn't help myself; I burst out laughing. I mean, come on. Who says that? A few hours later, shortly before the play that was scheduled for this evening, Hamlet came and told me about his plan to try to have the king incriminate himself during the play by duplicating the circumstances of old Hamlet's murder within the performance. He asked me to observe the king, to see if he gave away any sign of guilt. During the play, I concealed myself and spied on the king, waiting for the critical moment in the play. When the killer in the play poured poison into the actor's ear, king Claudius became as pale as a sheet and nearly ran from the performance hall. When I told Hamlet about Claudius's reaction, Hamlet seemed happy, as if the king's actions had vindicated Hamlet's own suspicions. I am suprised that Claudius managed to hide his guilt for so long if he reacts this badly to a simple play.

No comments:

Post a Comment