Monday, October 26, 2009

The Guilt of the King


This most recent happening in the theatre has disturbed me a little. I'm still in shock from learning that our king took his throne through betrayal. I remember Claudius at his coronation, and I don't remember any trace of hesitation or any hint of guilt. That such a sociopath could escape notice by all of Denmark and steal her throne speaks to the gullibility of its people, and to mine as well. We were all so focused on the threat of Fortinbras that we did not turn our scrutiny inward to catch a glimpse of the rot that now plagues our royal house. Despite his crimes, however, I still hope that the capacity for redemption remains within Claudius. If it doesn't, he may have more to fear from Hamlet than he could possibly imagine.

No comments:

Post a Comment